Tuesday 20 December 2011

Thailand's largest reclining Buddha

Recently I visited Wat Pho or Wat Phra Chetuphon Vimolmamgklaram which is very famous for its Thailand's biggest reclining Buddha. This temple is located by Chaophraya river bank and close to the royal palace. Tourists mostly take day trip around this area that includes the royal palace, national museum, Wat Pho, Want Arun (temple of dawn) and have their boat trip along the river in the afternoon. On that day I could only visited Wat Pho in hurry because the flood water was approaching from the river. Anyway I had nice time despite being there 3 times already. The temple has many things to see and to learn. I like chinese sculptures that we could see almost everywhere in the temple area. These sculptures were imported from China since the period of King rama III. And one thing that always make me get goosebumps when I see it is the reclining Buddha. It is very huge 43 meters long golden Buddha reclining in the temple. I think ones who had part in building this statue must had strong faith in Buddhism.

Wat Pho is also well known for its traditional Thai massage school. I asked a massage instructor about the cause, he said beginner course is 8 days (60 hours) for 5,400 baht. I have learned some Thai massage on shoulders and back while I was a medical student. Learning full course is interesting that I will give it a try soon.











In case video doesn't show up, please go to this link

No comments:

Post a Comment