Friday 3 December 2010

Mulberry fruit, natural antioxidant that can be grown in Bangkok (?)

Hello Friends,

It's been a long time that I didn't update my blog. My main intention for having this blog is to share my experiences that need explanation or discussion. You will see most of my updates are on my Facebook. Many time I found a picture could describe things better than thousand words. On my facebook, in video section, you will see many videos that I collected pictures I took from my trips in Thailand and the USA and made video files of them. Those are reminding me of good moments I had. All the pleasant feelings come up every time I replay them. And I hope you will enjoy all my videos as I do. Anyway, any comments from you will be greatly appreciated.


Today I have something I want to share with you. It's about food again, hehehe, you know I do enjoy eating. Last week I found a fruit in The Royal project supermarket (http://www.doikham.co.th/). It's like blackberry that I ate in the USA, but its shape was a bit more elongated. It's called Mulberry.










The shop owner said it grew well in hot climate even in southeast asia. I'm so glad that I can find a local berry here. Berries are rich in Bioflavonoids which has antioxidant property. While I was in the USA I enjoyed eating berries a lot. Every week I would go to Publix to buy mixed berry fruit that got strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries. My most favorite is raspberry but my friend told me that if I tried black currant, I would love it more than any berries. I didn't have chance to try black currant. Have any of you ever tried it?

Bioflavonoid from berries was found to be a strong antioxidative agent which may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, delay aging process and had anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and even anti-cancer activity. And bioflavonoid named Morin in Mulberry was also found to have gout healing properties.

Mulberry also have a pigment named Anthrocyanin that has lipid-lowering activity and can improve blood and liver antioxidant status.

In China, people made mulberry tea from mulberry leaves. It has been a household remedy for liver disease for many years. And recently, there are many scientific evidence support that mulberry leaves have antioxidant and hepatoprotective activities.

Well, finding the usefulness of this berry, and knowing that it can be grown in hot climate so, I have good reasons to have my own mulberry tree! I am so lucky a nurse in my unit just tried growing a mulberry tree at her apartment, then I asked her to cut a branch for me to try growing it at my apartment, too. I hope it will work!!!!

I was a bit surprised when I saw ugly branches of mulberry that she bought for me. They were leafless and didn't look like mulberry trees in my imagination at all.






Anyway, I put them into my good soil and placed them on my balcony that gets good sunlight. I hope they will grow to be mulberry tree!! hehehehe

And I will show you its photos! :o)

5 comments:

  1. How long does it take mulberry trees to bear fruits? Khun Sitra would love it.

    What's hepatoprotective activity like? Could you please elaborate more on that?

    Many thanks for sharing.
    Sridivina
    The Beauty of the Age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, I would like to try sometime, hope the tree grows. Do they taste as sweet as a Blackberry? I like the Black Currant as well as the Red Currant, and dried currants in baking desserts as well. Thanks for your review, it is great.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. ต้นหม่อนนี้ปลูกง่าย โตเร็ว ที่บ้านน้าผมที่เชียงรายเค้าปลูกลงบนกระถางกาบมะพร้าวด้วยซ้ำไป สองสามวันก็จะแตกรากเล็กๆให้เห็น ชอบแดด ชอบน้ำ ชอบความชื้น แต่ไม่แฉะ เหมาะกับอากาศบ้านเราเปี๊ยบ แต่มักปลูกกันที่ภาคเหนือนะ ไม่รู้ว่าปลูกที่ระเบียงบ้านในกรุงเทพแบบนี้จะโตได้แค่ไหน จะมีลูกให้กินรึเปล่า ก็คงต้องลุ้นกันต่อไป

    Mulberry trees grow so fast in the first 6 months. In Chiangrai, my aunt grew them in coco coir and they shown their small roots in several days. Give them strong sunlight, moderate amount of water and they will certainly grow. But I'm not sure they will give you some fruit,lol.

    I'm glad you are always happy with things that are surrounding you. Even in the plain days that many people feel bored, still you extract the great moments to fulfill your life and cherish your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sridivina and Paul

    I really don't know how long will it take to give me fruit. It's a kind of local fruit that we should eat as Khun Sitra suggested. Living in Thailand, I cannot eat other kinds of berries so, I hope this will be a nice option. The taste was not as sweet as raspberry and blackberry. It's rather sour!!!! but the darker ones are sweeter than the red or yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear friends,
    I'd like to inform you that my mulberry tree has died for many months. It got infection from some plant's disease. hehehehehe after that my balcony is only for doing laundry.

    ReplyDelete